SALT LAKE CITY – March 29, 2010 — Big-D Construction (www.big-d.com) recently received nine Excellence in Construction awards from the Associated Builders and Contractors of Utah.
Big-D also received the 2009 Utah Labor Commission Safety Award, which recognizes commitment to safety in the workplace, as well as an ABC National Safety Training and Evaluation Process (STEP) Platinum Award.
Big-D was awarded nine of 25 awards given in 17 categories. The following Big-D projects were recognized:
- Champion of ABC Award – O.C. Tanner Flagship Renovation. The early 20th-century structure located in downtown Salt Lake City was originally built as the Salt Lake Library in 1906 and also housed the famed Hansen Planetarium for more than 40 years, was completely renovated to make way for the O.C. Tanner’s flagship store.
- Winner, Healthcare Over $5 Million – Unified State Laboratory.
- Located in Taylorsville, Utah, the 78,000 square foot Unified State Laboratory facility provides efficient delivery of critical lab services for the Utah Department of Health’s Bureaus of Forensic Toxicology, Chemical and Environmental Services, Laboratory Improvement, and Microbiology.
- Winner, Historical Renovation Over $5 Million – The Children’s Center. A Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Gold, 52,000 square foot historic renovation of the existing building (previously the Oquirrh School) into new office space, observation rooms, conference rooms and meeting space for the Children’s Center, a non-profit organization providing mental healthcare for pre-school children.
- Winner, Commercial Under $2 Million – Utah Botanical Center Wetland Discovery Point. A LEED®® Platinum Certified, indoor-outdoor learning experience for visitors of the Utah Botanical Center (UBC). The facility provides many educational programs at the Utah Botanical Center for Utah State University.
- Winner, Institutional Over $10 Million – BYU Office of Information Technology. This 3-story 88,000 square foot office building is located at Brigham Young University, and replaced the existing office, where new parking was built in its place.
- Winner, Industrial Over $5 Million – Project Jayhawk.
- A 220,000 square foot milk receiving and processing plant owned by Idaho Milk Products and located in Jerome, ID. The plant processes more than three million pounds of milk per day.
- Honorable Mention, Commercial Over $5 Million – Newpark Town Center. A Live/Work/Play community located six miles from Old Town Park City. This LEED® Silver Neighborhood Development consists of four retail buildings and two parking structures, as well as a Best Buy store.
- Honorable Mention, Historical Restoration Over $5 Million – O.C. Tanner Flagship Renovation (See description above).
- Honorable Mention, Historical Restoration Over $5 Million – University of Utah John R. Park Building Renovation. This project was a historic renovation of the 63,980 square foot John R. Park Building on the campus of the University of Utah. The building, located at the top of President’s Circle, has been the campus’ administration building since its original construction in 1914.
For more information about Big-D Construction, including these award winning projects and other upcoming projects please visit www.big-d.com.
Facebook: Big-D Construction
About Big-D Construction
Big-D Construction Corp. has more than 42 years of experience in providing Design-Build, General Contracting and Construction Management services to the private and public sectors for a wide variety of industries. As one of the largest construction companies in the country, Big-D employs more than 400 associates throughout the western United States. Regional offices are located in Salt Lake City, Ogden and Lindon, Utah; Pleasanton, California; Phoenix, Arizona; and Jackson Hole, Wyoming. For more information, please visit www.big-d.com.